Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Dinner with Friends



No this is not a joke, there really is a restaurant called Marjorie, my namesake! Well not mine exactly, the owner's mother. And I can only describe it kindly: charming, warm, romantic, funky, inviting.

Tucked away on the corner of 2nd and Bell, just north of Seattle's downtown, you'll find a dive that I like to describe as Vintage Arabian Chic. You're probably wondering what that means... the decor consists of padded raw silk ceiling panels, dark wood benches lined with patterned cushions and dim lit votive candles. The walls are painted in rich tones and lined with what appeared to be East Indian art.

The music is also very interesting... the three hours I was there I heard everything from "Hot Sex" from the Boomerang Soundtrack, to 80's favorites, to contemporary hits. Its one of those things where you'll be in mid sentence and then chuckle when you realize what song is playing over you.

I started off with a Trenchtown cocktail: Appleton Estate Extra rum, ginger syrup and coconut water, fresh lime shaken and served up. The lime on the rim was the most perfect cut lime I have ever seen. This initially caught my eye because of the coconut water, but I have to admit, I didn't really taste it. It was a yummy drink but a bit too bitter for my taste.

We ordered the plantain chips and guacamole with grilled pineapple. They are utterly heavenly! The flavor combo is fantastic - salty, mild plantains with a tangy guac. YUM! We had two ordered and ate all of them. They also served bread with oilve oil.

Marjorie's has this great combo dinner, $30 for 30. You choose an appetizer, meal, and desert and you also receive a ginger sorbet palette cleanser and cheese in between courses. Two of my gal pals went this route and we all shared the deserts which I will get to.

My friend and I shared the shrimp and grits. I could'nt even tell you what was in this dish, just that it is delicious. The shrimp are grilled and laid atop a bed of collard greens with pancetta (i think) and grits, which tasted of butter and garlic. We also ordered the Tikki Masala chicken, which is always a favorite of mine. This was served with a yogurt sauce and Naan bread pockets. The masala sauce was perfect; not too spicy. The yogurt sauce otherwise known as taziki, makes this dish an explosion of different flavors, which frankly I adore, but if you have a mild palette, you may want to refrain.

The Desert
Brioche bread pudding with bourbon carmel sauce. Need I say more? I am not a fan of bread pudding typically, but this dish rocked my world! It was'nt too moist, which I attribute to the brioche; ts a much denser bread. The carmel sauce was amazing and once again I found myself wanting to lick the plate, but this wasnt exactly MY desert so I didnt. We also had the hazelnut cinnamon cake with cardamom ice cream. Very refreshing after eating such rich food. It sort of reminded me of tiramisu, the texture and presentation.

Rating: 4 stars for sure! I had actually been here before a few years ago, but I forgot about this spot and have now been reminded to put it back on my list of fun joints to dine!

2 comments:

Shelby said...

Sounds like a yummy place!

Shelby said...

Tag you're it