
Translation: Steak and fries! And might I add, some of the best steak and fries I have ever had, accompanied by a kick: bearnaise sauce!
I was in Washington D.C. over the Thanksgiving holiday this year, and pretty much ate my way through the city. The best meal I had while there, had to be the Le Steak Maison, courtesy of Bistrot du Coin. This quaint little French Bistro is located on Connecticut Ave in the popular Dupont Circle area of D.C. It is very open and lively. They had paper doily-like placemats, blue and red napkins, blue and red flagging across room, and lots of French signage dressed the walls.

We started off the meal with a Reserve Nicolas Pinot Noir, which was really good! I wasnt sure how it was going to taste because I am not very knowledgable about Pinot Noirs, but it was remeniscent of a Cabernet, which I love. We were also served traditional french baguette slices with some butter, which I noticed was salt-free. I prefer the salt-free butter, because I think you can taste the bread much more.
For an appetizer I orderd the endive salad, which had a rich Roquefort cheese dressing and candied walnuts. It was so good! My 'eating partner in crime' had the Bouchée à la reine. Translation: Chicken and mushrooms sweetbread in cream sauce over puff pastry. I had a bite and it was very good, but a little too rich for my taste.
On to the main course: steak and fries. I had my steak medium/well based on the recommendation of the waitress. I could have gone medium, but it was delicious all the same. The steak was seasoned with salt, pepper and a little parsley. Served on the side was the béarnaise sauce, which I have actually never had. The sauce consists of egg yolk, shallot, tarragon vinegar, and butter. It was an excellent complement to the steak. I gather it is typically used as an alternative to Hollindaise sauce (sp - i cannot spell if you havent noticed yet).
The french fries were perfect! I pretty much ate each and every one. The bearnaise sauce served as a great fry condement as well. I also had a side of mayo, very French, and very me ;)
I typically dont clean my plate, but I sure did with this! I had walked about 10 miles that day, so I didnt really feel guilty about it. I would definitely go back! It was lovely.
For more information, visit http://www.bistrotducoin.com/.
No comments:
Post a Comment