Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Roast Away!


I have found that many people are intimidated by the cooking term "roast", so I decided that I would share my roasting tricks for chicken, which are pretty much fool proof. I havent quite tackled the rib, rump or pork categories, but I make a mean roasted chicken breast or two!

I never used to cook chicken with the skin on it, however, with this method, it is preferable to cook with skin so the chicken stays moist and flavorful.

Directions:

  • Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees (I know it seems hot, but we ARE in deed roasting - keep the shelf at a normal distance from the heat)
  • Rub skin-full chicken breasts with olive oil and S&P; I also add various spices such as dill, oregano and/or rosemary. You can also add your favorite marinade.
  • Place breasts in roasting pan or glass oven dish (I usually line with parchment paper for an easier clean up)
  • Check after about 20 minutes... then turn the temp down to 375 degrees. The initial 20 minutes are to brown the skin.
  • Cook for another 25 - 30 minutes or until
  • Let rest for a about 5 minutes and then serve!

I have also developed a love for roasted veggies. You can pretty much roast anything as I have come to learn.


My favorite items to roast are carrots, Brussels sprouts, asparagus, red onion, sweet potatoes, squash and broccolini.

Directions:

- Pre-Heat oven to 425 degrees

- Toss veggies in olive oil and S&P
- Spread evenly onto a lined sheet pan


Depending on the consistency of the veggie, roast for about 20 minutes and then check for doneness. Carrots and starchy veggies take 30-40 minutes usually. I actually like mine a little more done and brown :)

Roasting is a great way to prepare boring foods, so be afraid no more!

2 comments:

Shelby said...

I have yet to make a roast, but this sounds doable. Thanks Margie!

Michelle Chapman said...

I roasted chicken and veggies last night and they turned out great! So easy and yummy :)